The Wolper Law Firm, P.A. Has Filed A FINRA Arbitration Claim Against Capital Financial Services For The Unlawful Sale Of Illiquid Oil & Gas, LPs And Non-Traded REITs
The Wolper Law Firm, P.A. announces that it has filed a FINRA arbitration claim against Capital Financial Services based on the unlawful recommendations made by its financial adviser, Steven Knuttila, who has thirty-two (32) customer complaints against him for alleged sales practice violations. Steven Knuttila has recently been barred from the securities industry by FINRA.
The Statement of Claim filed with FINRA alleges:
“This case is about the unlawful sale of speculative and unsuitable oil and gas limited partnerships (“Oil and Gas L.P.s”) issued by U.S. Energy and various non-traded real estate investment trusts (“Non-Traded REITs”) issued by Steadfast and American Realty Capital to unsophisticated and unaccredited investors. Claimants were told by their Financial Advisor, Steven Knuttila, who was recently barred from the securities industry by FINRA, that the disputed investments were consistent with Claimants’ desire to generate a modest level of growth and income. This was false. Mr. Knuttila misrepresented the characteristics and risks of the investments, failing to disclose, among other things, that the disputed investments were speculative in nature and completely illiquid.
Mr. Knuttila presented Claimants with an opportunity—which he described as exclusive—to invest in the U.S. Energy Strategic Income Fund II, L.P. Claimants were unfamiliar with the company, U.S. Energy, or the U.S. Energy Strategic Income Fund II, L.P., and relied on Mr. Knuttila’s purported expertise.
Between late 2014 and early 2016, the price of oil dropped more than 50%. This decline caused many energy companies to suspend or completely abandon exploration efforts. It also forced many public and privately held companies within the energy sector into bankruptcy. For investors, like Claimants, the income either declined or stopped altogether, and the principal value of their investments plummeted.
The sale of esoteric products is a growing trend in the securities industry, particularly among independent brokers, due to the high commissions. These structured products generated commissions of approximately 8%-10%. It is alleged that Steven Knuttila made the aforementioned recommendations in order to secure larger commissions, as opposed to putting Claimants’ interest ahead of their own.
If you or someone you know are clients of Capital Financial Services or Steven Knuttila, and you experienced investment losses, please contact the Wolper Law Firm at 800.931.8452 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your specific situation and the legal options available. The Wolper Law Firm represents investors nationwide in securities litigation and arbitration.
Matt Wolper, the Managing Principal of the Wolper Law Firm, is a trial lawyer who has handled hundreds of securities cases during his career involving a wide range of products, strategies and securities. Prior to representing investors, he was a partner with a national law firm, where he represented some of the largest banks and brokerage firms in the world in securities matters.
- Learn How Due Diligence Regulations Protect Investors Seeking Private Placement Transactions
- Triad Investors LLC, Broker and The Just Company Investment Adviser, Mark Just, Has Six Customer Complaints, Including Complaints For The Sale Of Alternative Investments
- Former Stifel, Nicolaus & Company, Inc. Broker Joseph H. Pratt Barred by FINRA for Insider Trading; Customer Complaint Pending
- Former Dinosaur Financial Group, LLC Broker and Investment Adviser David Karandos Has Six Customer Complaints, Including 3 Pending Complaints Alleging Sales Practice Misconduct
- Former Ameriprise Financial Services Broker and Investment Adviser Angel Bardeche Fined and Suspended After Engaging in Unsuitable Mutual Fund Trading for Clients
- Benjamin F. Edwards and Co., Inc. Broker John Griner Fined and Suspended After Allegedly Improperly Exercising Discretion Without Proper Authorization
- FINRA Reports That Margin Levels in Customer Accounts Have Reached All-Time Highs of More Than $722 Billion
- How to Stop Stock Loss Caused by Your Broker-Dealer
- Former LPL Financial LLC Broker, Maziar Monshi, Has Had Three Customer Complaint Disclosures Alleging Sales Practice Misconduct
- Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated Broker, John Gatto, Has Had Eight Customer Complaint Disclosures Alleging Sales Practice Misconduct