Former Coastal Equities, Inc. Financial Advisor, Dudley Stephens, Has Four Customer Complaints, Including One Pending Complaint Alleging Damages Of $500,000 For Unauthorized Trading
Dudley Stephens is a former Financial Advisor at Coastal Equities, Inc. in New York, NY. Dudley Stephens has been in the securities industry since 2000 and previously worked at Prospera Financial Services, Wells Fargo Advisors and seven brokerage firms that have since been expelled from the securities industry.
According to publicly available records released by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), on February 20, 2019, a customer filed a complaint against Dudley Stephens, alleging “Stephens’ conduct included making unauthorized trades, trading their accounts excessively and recommending unsuitable investments.” The alleged damages are $500,000 and the matter remains pending.
In addition to the aforementioned complaint, three other customers have filed complaints against Dudley Stephens:
- December 2018—Customer alleges that “excessive and unauthorized commissions were charged of approximately $50k per year for 2.5 years in her advisory account. [REDACTED] also believes that the $100k she invested in an unauthorized PST through this RR is a sham and a total loss of her investment.” The matter was settled for $41,250.
- November 2004—”CLIENT CLAIMS CHURNING, UNSUITABLE INVESTMENTS, UNAUTHORIZED TRADING, AND NEGLIGENCE ON THE REG REP.” The matter was settled for $15,000.
For a copy of Dudley Stephens’ CRD, click https://brokercheck.finra.org/individual/summary/4119268#disclosuresSection
Dudley Stephens has also been the subject of two regulatory events. In December 2018, FINRA barred Dudley Stephens indefinitely for failing to respond to an inquiry it made for information. In 2014, FINRA suspended Dudley Stephens for ten days for the following misconduct:
“STEPHENS CONSENTED TO THE SANCTIONS AND TO THE ENTRY OF FINDINGS THAT HE IMPROPERLY REMOVED CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION FROM HIS MEMBER FIRM. THE FINDINGS STATED THAT STEPHENS PRINTED A SPREADSHEET CONTAINING, INTER ALIA, CUSTOMER NAMES, ACCOUNT NUMBERS, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS, ADDRESSES AND OTHER INFORMATION FOR FIRM CUSTOMERS.”
Financial advisors have a legal and regulatory obligation to recommend only suitable investments that are appropriate for their clients’ needs and objectives. Their employing brokerage firm has a legal and regulatory obligation to supervise the Financial Advisors’ sales practices and dealings with clients. To the extent any of these duties are breached, the customer may be entitled to a recovery of his or her investment losses.
The Wolper Law Firm represents investors nationwide in securities litigation and arbitration on a contingency fee basis. Matt Wolper, the Managing Principal of the Wolper Law Firm, is a trial lawyer who has handled hundreds of securities cases during his career involving a wide range of products, strategies and securities. Prior to representing investors, he was a partner with a national law firm, where he represented some of the largest banks and brokerage firms in the world in securities matters. We can be reached at 800.931.8452 or by email at email@example.com.
- (no title)
- Arbitration Claim Filed Against Benjamin Edwards Based On The Sale Of Exchange Traded Products By Financial Advisor Thomas Kintz
- Recent Non-Traded REIT Announcements Signal Trouble on the Horizon for Investors
- Former Centaurus Financial, Inc. Financial Advisor Jonathan Dudley Permanently Barred For Failing To Cooperate In FINRA Investigation Regarding Conversion Of Customer Funds
- Former LPL Financial LLC General Securities Representative Arthur Obermeier Suspended and Fined for Improperly Exercising Discretion Without Proper Authorization
- Former Merrill Lynch General Securities Representative Ryan Raskin Barred By FINRA
- Learn How Due Diligence Regulations Protect Investors Seeking Private Placement Transactions
- Triad Investors LLC, Broker and The Just Company Investment Adviser, Mark Just, Has Six Customer Complaints, Including Complaints For The Sale Of Alternative Investments
- Former Stifel, Nicolaus & Company, Inc. Broker Joseph H. Pratt Barred by FINRA for Insider Trading; Customer Complaint Pending
- Former Dinosaur Financial Group, LLC Broker and Investment Adviser David Karandos Has Six Customer Complaints, Including 3 Pending Complaints Alleging Sales Practice Misconduct