When Can I Sue for Investment Losses?

Suffering losses on the stock market or in any investment is not uncommon. But these losses should occur due to market volatility, not because your stockbroker or financial advisor wronged you in some way. When this happens, you can reach out to a qualified investment loss lawyer to discuss your legal options.

Below, we go into further detail about when you might be able to sue for stockbroker misconduct or negligence, and how you can go about initiating an arbitration complaint with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).

Stockbroker Misconduct and Negligence

Unfortunately, there are many different ways in which your financial advisor could have taken advantage of you. Some of the most common include:

  • Churning
  • Selling away
  • Unauthorized trading
  • Lack of portfolio diversification
  • Failure to supervise
  • Breach of fiduciary duty
  • Ponzi schemes
  • Unsuitable recommendations

These are just a few of the most common ways in which stockbrokers engage in misconduct or are negligent. Speak with your investment loss lawyer to learn more about what options may be available to you after suffering a considerable investment loss.

How the FINRA Arbitration Process Works

FINRA arbitration is similar to court. Both parties will have the opportunity to present their case before the panel of arbitrators, and then refute the claims of the other. Evidence will be presented to support both parties’ case, and then the arbitrators will retire to review the evidence and deliberate.

If the arbitrators determine your financial advisor wronged you, they may order the broker compensate you for the losses you suffered as a result of their misconduct or negligence.

Meet with a FINRA Arbitration Lawyer

When you are ready to move forward with your FINRA arbitration complaint but aren’t sure where to turn, contact a committed FINRA arbitration lawyer at Wolper Law Firm, P.A.. You can give the office a call at 800.931.8452 or complete the quick contact form included at the bottom of this page to schedule your no-cost, confidential case review.

Attorney Matthew Wolper

Attorney Matthew WolperMatt Wolper is a trial lawyer who focuses exclusively on securities litigation and arbitration. Mr. Wolper has handled hundreds of securities matters nationwide before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), JAMS, and in state and federal court. Mr. Wolper has handled and tried cases involving complex financial products and strategies ranging from traditional stocks and bonds to options, margin and other securities-based lending products, closed/open-end mutual funds, structured products, hedge funds, and penny stocks. [Attorney Bio]